Friday, March 18, 2016

Not taking pride in Feminism

Yes, I'm a feminist and no I'm not proud of it.
I'm NOT.
But before you get all judgmental on me, hear me out (or in this case, read).
I was born in the year of the great Nepalese revolution; the revolution that managed to chain the hitherto out of hands and out of bounds kingship. For people like me, the concept of freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and the constitutional rights that guarantees equality is a given. We do not give a second thought into what life would be without any of those. But maybe we do need to think about all that. We need to remember that nothing in the world is absolute and that everything is constantly changing. I remember a king trying to smother our rights as recently as a decade back and us having to fight tooth and nails to oust him. So, yes I do know a little bit about what it takes for a big political revolution.
That being said, not all revolutions need to be political.
I'm personally extremely proud of the cultural and educational revolution that's been happening silently over the last couple of decades in our country and the world. In 16 short years of the 21st century, we have progressed a lot as the human race.
Hundreds of medical and technological advances past, however, I CAN NOT wrap my head about why feminism is still around as a major political issue. Equality (basic equality!!) among human beings is still something we have to fight for? WHY! This is not an issue at all. It's a major "non-issue". It's just Equality that women are after for God's sake. It's not like they are demanding Extra rights; just to be treated equally and not be discriminated against just because of their gender.
So, yes, I am a feminist if believing in basic 
human rights and decency makes me a "feminist" and No, I am definitely not proud of the fact that this is still seen as a "radical" concept by the powers that be. Also, all of these make me wonder as to why we do not have more feminists out there.
However I do want to add a few cautionary things at the end. Reservations on education and various other avenues are supposed to empower and embolden people of little or no means. I do not want to see the system abused. I do not want to see a perfectly healthy girl of 20 making an old/ill man leave a seat in public transport just because it's reserved for women. That's not feminism. That's just immoral & wrong. And this is equally applicable to guys as well.

Basically, if you're able, don't use the support system meant for the differently-abled ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment